Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Xref

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jay.ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jay.ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xref
    Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:56am
Hi everyone,

I used in my file "Xref"

Initially it was working fine,(I mean it was nt asking me to save file when i suppose to close)

but after adding Link annotation for just to another location of another page when click image.

I don't think so my annotation is updating  or deleting somewhere,

but here it ask me for save before u want close.?

why?

Or i have take care like Page number 710 eg?

-Jay
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 11:51am
If you get a prompt to save on close it usually means the xref table is wrong. Or the startxref address or trailer.

Common problems include
- entries not EXACTLY 20 bytes apart
- byte addresses not exactly right
- extra space before CRLF
- miscounting items for the header line
- trying to manually keep track of objects and xref locations; create methods to do this for you and generate the xref
- trying to count bytes or estimate byte addresses; a good approach is to ask the system what is the byte offset of a file BEFORE writing an object, and keep these replies for the xref
- forgetting to set a PDF file to binary mode in Windows (this is NOT the default)

Try to put yourself in the position of a program trying to read just one item from the xref, not by scanning lines but by following byte addresses exactly, including using this method to find the entries in the xref. It is not enough that things look like the examples in the book!

Andrew118 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andrew118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 5:52am
PDF files are case sensitive. 'XRef' would be incorrect -  'xref' is correct.

Try opening the PDF in other PDF viewers and they may give you a more informative error message.  Also run the PDF through PDF PreFlight and select 'Report PDF Syntax Issues' in Acrobat Pro.  It won't find all errors but it can be useful.

There are many large well know companies out there that generate bad xref and trailer objects.

Some of the things I have seen include the following

1. %%EO  instead of %%EOF
2. startref instead of startxref
3. actual xml code before the %PDF-1.4 at the start of the file
4. CR/LF characters indicating that the file has been edited with a text editor and saved.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic