Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Validation script?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maureen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maureen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Validation script?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 4:00pm
hello

I'm not sure  if it's a validation javascript I need, but this is my question

In field1=date . Field 2=value. If field 1 is empty, but field2 is filled in, a popup must appear with a tekst like "Set a date in field1". Or even better is, when Field2 is filled in, Field1 become a mandatory field.

Can I get help for this?
Thank you
Sponsored Links

morrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote morrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 5:05pm
Maureen,

I am thinking that you could use a custom calculation script in Field 2.

if(event.value != "")
{
 this.getField("field1").required = true;
}

If you want to add a popup message to that, you would just add the app.alert line:

if(event.value != "")
{
 this.getField("field1").required = true;
 app.alert("Set a date in field1",1);
}

If you would rather use the "stop" symbol instead of the warning symbol, replace the 1 with 0.

Regards,
morrison
gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 5:34pm
I would not use a calculation script since this could add significant overhead to the form since each time a field used in any calculation in the form would cause the calculation to be run. Adobe provides a tab for the form field called "Validation" just for such a task. I this case I might use 2 validation scripts, one for the date field and the other for the text field.

I would set the field up with the "Field 2" set to read only and then unlock that field only when "Field 1" is not empty. This would require "Field 1" be completed before "Field 2". One may also need to consider the case where "Field 1" has been completed and an entry has been made in "Field 2" and then "Field 1" is cleared.

Field 1 validation script:

var oField2 = this.getField("Field 2");
if(event.value != "") {
// unlock Field 2;
oField2.readonly = false;
}
if(event.value == "" && oField2 != "") {
// Field 1 has been cleared, clear Field 2;
oField2.value = "";
}

Field 2 validation script:

var oField1 = this.getField("Field 1");
if(event.valule != "" && oField1.valueAsString = "") {
app.alert("Field 1 must be completed before Field 2 can have a value", 1, 0);
oField1.setFocus();
}

As for the "required" property of a field, unless you are submitting the form to a scripted web page or emailing the form, there will be no checking for the required form fields unless you provide some sort of script. This would also apply to printing of the form.

Edited by gkaiseril - 13 Oct 2015 at 5:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic