Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Securing Portions of a Form

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RA_QA_Dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RA_QA_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Securing Portions of a Form
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:42pm
Hi All,

Is it possible to secure different portions of a form?

We are trying to implement a paperless system for one of our office processes.  This process requires different departments to perform some function and once they are complete, the form is to be emailed to the next department.

Is there a way to prevent editing of the portion of the form already completed or only allowing editing of a specific portion of a form?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

try67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote try67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:21pm
You can hide the form fields, or set them to be read-only, and then change that setting when the file is emailed to the next user. This can be done with a script, but you should be aware it's not 100% secure, if that's an issue.

Edited by try67 - 25 May 2012 at 4:22pm
- Acrobat Expert - Contact me personally at try6767@gmail.com
Check out my custom-made scripts website: http://try67.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Quote RA_QA_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the response.

I can lock the fields with the digital signature and this works well except that the digital signature can be removed which unlocks the specified fields.

Is there a way to disable the "Clear Signature" function when right clicking on the signature?  I am using Acrobat 8 and designing the form with LC Designer 8.

Thanks again for any help
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:24pm
The thing about signatures is that they aren't security in the sense of stopping changes. They are about _detecting_ change and tracking approval.  So, it will always be possible in a signed document to see exactly what someone signed. If that signature is removed, then clearly their approval has gone too.

They are really the only way to do a proper workflow. Anything else is trivial to fake.

Post Options Post Options   Quote RA_QA_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 7:37pm
aandi,

Thanks for the response.  You mention that if the signature is removed then the signer's approval has gone too.  I completely agree with this premise if the original signer is the one doing the removal of their signature.

The problem I'm trying to find a fix for is that other people can remove the signature and then be able to edit the fields that were locked by that original signature.  Yes, that can be tracked, but I would like to prevent this if possible.

Would it be a better route to lock the fields through scripting and not rely on the signature lock field options?

Thanks again for any help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic