Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

RE:PROTECTION OF PDF (AND EPUB) FILES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Frater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Frater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RE:PROTECTION OF PDF (AND EPUB) FILES
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:07am
Greetings,

I want to simplify my questions in the previous message (03.10.207), which is propably both stupid, impossible and complicated as well:

Let's suppose,  I have a protected PDF file on my web site for downloading (for sale) and I am using DRM (e.g. Adobe DRM) so that sharing, copying and printing is regulated. If the pirate, when seeing these restrictions, still tries to break the code and succees, is it possible to implant to the PDF file some "property" - using a specific software - that when the illegal copying or sharing starts, the PDF file automatically deletes itself: It simply disappears ....

Your help and support is appreciated.

Frater Anah
FRATER ANAH
Sponsored Links

BAlheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAlheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:19am
Not possible.
Frater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Frater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:26pm

Dear Bernd Alheit,

Foolproof protecting EPUB and PDF files is vital in ebook business in our days. I know that for sure. Piratism is a global threat worldwide and easily destroys all means of earning a livelihood regardless of that how well known or unknown those authors who are producing ebooks are.

If the file (= an ebook for sale) is downloaded from my web site (or whatever web site) and if the person, who owns the file now, starts copying, sharing and sending that through the internet in order to make money, why  is it not possible at this stage to activate a specific software or "code" (linked to that file), which deletes the file straightaway. I think that would be the easiest and most fair way to stop piratism: No trials and no settlements afterwards. And of course the pirate is free to download the same file again, if s/he wishes after paying for that again... 

If this is not possible, what might be the next most effective method to protect EPUB or PDF files against piratism. Giving away your ebooks free is not a solution if writing is your bread-and-butter job!

If you think this question is taboo, irrelevant or against the laws of teleinformatics, or if the final answer reveals something "secret", kindly contact me using my personal email address: woffless.net@gmail.com.

FRATER ANAH
FRATER ANAH
BAlheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAlheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
The best way is to use DRM (e.g. Adobe DRM).
gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:40pm
The very old process of applying for copyrights and legally pursuing the offenders of your copyright still applies and should be pursued. You should discuss this with an intellectual property attorney and learn what happens when you do not use this approach.

Not a legal opinion, but you lose your rights of ownership if you fail to apply for a copyright or pursue violators of you ownership rights, but it might be the best defense.
Frater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Frater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm
Thank you very much  BAlheit and gkaiseril for your support and advice. I will seriously consider your suggestions.

Cheers,

FRATER ANAH
FRATER ANAH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic