Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Protection Question for PDFs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pmalloy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pmalloy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protection Question for PDFs
    Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 5:40pm
Protection Question for PDFs (or other file types -- all ideas welcome!)

I have a professional book, that is about 2" thick and is referred to by all in our organization on a almost daily basis (though each typically has their own copy).  It is a pain to thumb through this book, so I had the binding cut and scanned it in as a PDF.  I've added bookmarks and the text is searchable, so it really is great!

I don't want to share the scan with all in our company without certain precautions because I wouldn't want it to cause problems for the copyright holder.  I wanted to see if there were any ideas on how the scanned book could be shared but restrict their ability to "Save/Save As" and distribute it.  Any ideas on how to this within Acrobat or outside would be welcome and appreciated!

Thanks. 
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 7:08pm
No way with normal tools. If your company has licensed LiveCycle Policy Server it could be used to restrict opening of the file (not copying or sharing it). This is heavy duty corporate security software.
gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 7:17pm
If the file is on network work drive in a specific directory your IT staff should be able to restrict access to the directory to specific users. This requires IT to want to do this.

You could password or certificate protect the file for opening and then distribute the password or certificate to the users. Other users need to keep the password or certificate secure.

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 8:07pm
You might consider protecting it with a password that only you know and you do not share. Sharing it with even one person may well breach your company's requirements to obey copyright law, and land you in trouble. And if what you've done is attractive, it will spread like wildfire (I've seen it happen, and I see you are worrying specifically about that). 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic