Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Preflight Does Not Remove Blank Pages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mr Fixit eh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr Fixit eh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preflight Does Not Remove Blank Pages
    Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 9:28pm
I'm using Adobe Acrobat X Pro on Windows 8 OS. I frequently scan to PDF on a network printer over which I cannot control the print settings. When I print 2-sided, there will often be blank pages (where there is no text on the second side). I've tried to use the Preflight tool to remove empty pages. The 'fixup' rule will work to remove empty pages, but I have to first go into View/Show-Hide/Navigation Panes/Content then scroll down the pages to find the blanks. Then expand and right-click the XObject and delete it. Only then I can go to the Preflight tool, select the 'remove empty pages' fixup. It asks to resave the file then proceeds with the fix and removes the blank pages. If I don't remove the XObject, the 'remove empty pages' tool' will resave an identical file and not remove the blank pages.

You'd think there would be a better way ????

Steve
Sponsored Links

khkremer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote khkremer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:24pm
The problem is that your page is not blank - at least not as far as Acrobat is concerned: It contains an image (because it is a scanned page). It happens to be the image of a blank page, but it's not blank as in "it does not contain _ANY_ content". By removing the Xobject, you are removing this image, so from that point on Acrobat does consider this to be a blank page. 

As far as I know, Acrobat has no built-in tools to flag such a page as blank. You would need a plug-in that can look into the image to analyze it and decide if it's blank or not. 

Sorry that I don't have any better news for you. 

Edited by khkremer - 03 Jun 2013 at 10:24pm
Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net

khk@khk.net
http://www.khkonsulting.com
Mr Fixit eh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr Fixit eh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 1:31pm
Thanks, Karl - I guess I suspected as much. Any recommendations for a plug in?

STeve
khkremer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote khkremer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 3:46pm
I just googled for "remove blank pages from scanned pdf" and found a few solutions that provide this functionality. I am not familiar with any of them, so I cannot give you a recommendation. 
Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net

khk@khk.net
http://www.khkonsulting.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic