Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

PDF with garbled text after editing on a Mac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fabwhack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fabwhack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PDF with garbled text after editing on a Mac
    Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 2:17pm

Hi all, hope someone can help. I'm struggling to get to the bottom of a very bizarre issue. I have a number of PDFs that were originally created using ABBYY's FineReader OCR software. They display fine, and I can "copy" text from the documents to the clipboard with no issues.

However, as soon as I bring them over to the Mac side and make a change to the document using OS X's Preview, things go wrong. As soon as any changes are made, I can no longer copy text from the document to the clipboard - the text that ends up on the clipboard is garbled. However, the display text is still perfectly legiable.

For example. here's a link to a very simple and basic PDF document, that was originally a perfectly fine PDF but became mangled.

Broken PDF

Using Acrobat I've removed all the graphics and most of the text from the document, leaving just a single text box ("AUTUMN SPECIAL!").

So if I highlight the text on the page which reads:

AUTUMN SPECIAL!

what ends up on the clipboard is:

*)﴿*%& (﴾'"!# $  

I've done a whole ton of reading about the internals of PDFs and I'm pretty certain that this is something to do with the CMAP character-to-glyph mappings; but I've no idea what to do to fix it. Acrobat's PreFlight check for the PDF/A 2a standard tells me:

"Text cannot be mapped to Unicode"

"Type 2 CID font: CIDToGIDMap invalid or missing"

Also, an inventory report (available here) shows the letter "A" being mapped to a space, letter "C" to a exclamation mark etc - all obviously wrong. However, "Analyze and Fix" won't fix the problem 

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I know it's definitely a bug somewhere on the Mac side and the obvious answer would be to avoid editing documents using OS X Preview, but unfortunately I have several hundred documents in this state. Is there any way to fix or edit the mappings, or otherwise return the text to a state where it can be accurately copied from the document?

Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice given.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic