Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

.PDF FILE NAME LENGTH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZUUUUUUUUC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZUUUUUUUUC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .PDF FILE NAME LENGTH
    Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:15am
Hi, often when I try to copy & paste .pdf documents from one folder to another, I get error message "filename too long for destination folder..." or something similar.
I thought it was an Adobe Reader issue, that the filename can have a maximum of 100 characters, but the # of characters is less than 100 (including spaces and .pdf).
I've been advised it isn't Adobe, but rather an OS issue?  I'm still on Vista Home Premium, I know, I know. I thought the max. # of characters in Windows is 256?
Could it be how the original .pdf file is created/saved, or a Windows OS issue?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

BAlheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAlheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:14am
It is a Windows OS issue.

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZUUUUUUUUC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:36am
Ok, know how to fix or where i may find a fix?
gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 6:46pm
Your full path name and file name is too long.

Fisrt figure out the fuul path will be and see if it exceeds the 256 character limit. Then adjust the file nname or directory name as needed.

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZUUUUUUUUC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:38pm
Thanks for help.
Giving myself a big DUHHHH, as this was very basic Windows OS question easily found in Windows Help:   
Windows usually limits file names to 260 characters. But the file name must actually be shorter than that, since the complete path (such as C:\Program Files\filename.txt) is included in this character count. This is why you might occasionally encounter an error when copying a file with a very long file name to a location that has a longer path than its current location.

So my next question is:  as there is seemingly a workaround for everything, there must be a program or app that enables you to extend the 260-character limit? 
I've searched but haven't found...any ideas?

BAlheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAlheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:46am
Try a forum for Microsoft Windows.
Horndoggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Horndoggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 5:35pm
Since you are doing copy and paste instead of move or D&D, why not use "save as?"
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic