Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Moving text on a PDF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bbahney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving text on a PDF
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:21am
We upgraded to PeopleSoft 9.1 in June of 2011 and will be using delivered PDF templates to print our 2011 W2's. Our Print Shop wants us to move all the Fields on the right side of the form over a few spaces and I am using Adobe Acrobat Professional to try and accomplish this. I am following the 'Help' instructions, but have had no luck so far. Is there someone able to step me through the process of moving this text over and is Adobe Acrobat the proper tool to be using to do this? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:45pm
It isn't clear from your post whether you want to move text, or fields. These are two quite different things. Acrobat can move both, but it's completely different how you do it. Which is it, and which version of Acrobat Pro are you using?

Edited by aandi - 17 Jan 2012 at 12:47pm
bbahney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm
My apologies; this is what I am trying to do: 

In the 'Employer's Name, Address and Zipcode' box of the W2, I need to move this data over a couple of spaces to the right- see below:

COMPANY TQA
1400 CALIFORNIA STREET
WALNUT CREEK CA  94596

COMPANY TQA
   1400 CALIFORNIA STREET
   WALNUT CREEK CA  94596

I also need to do this with the 'Employee's Name, Address and Zipcode', along with the 'State'. Does this make any more sense?
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:09pm
Ok, it sounds as if it may be possible (though it depends on how the other text in the page goes too).  Which version of Acrobat Pro are you using?
bbahney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:15pm
I downloaded a 30-day trial of Versio 9
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:25pm
Ok... version 9, Adobe are now offering version X (10) for free trial, so check out carefully where you downloaded 9. If it wasn't Adobe, be very concerned this is a classic way to get viruses and stuff.

A key reason for checking version is that Adobe completely redesigned in X. (Since you can't buy 9, there's little point learning it). Anyway in 9 you would right click on the toolbar and make sure that the Advanced Editing toolbar was ticked. In that toolbar select the Touch-up Object tool. (Not any similarly named tool).

Click on the text and see how much is selected. Maybe it's just the block you want, if so just drag it.

If it selects the wrong amount of text, maybe you can use the Touch-Up Text tool, delete the text you don't want, and make a new text box. Awkward.

Really, it isn't a question of the wrong tool, so much as the wrong task. A PDF is no more made for this sort of thing than a JPEG is. PDF files aren't edited, in general, the original is edited (the original isn't a PDF), and a new PDF is made.

Hope this helps.

bbahney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 6:16pm

Thank you so much for the information. I am completely at a loss becaue I honestly think this is a printer issue and not an issue with the form. PeopleSoft pretty much told me that we should not have to modify their delivered PDF and that is should work 'as is'. I went round and round with our Print Shop folks, but they wouldn't budge. So now I'm tasked with doing something that I have never done before, using a product that I am unfamiliar with. Anyway, thanks again for the info, I will check this out right now.

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:05pm
Am I right in thinking that what you want to modify is something like a report - lots of generated pages with many addresses?
bbahney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:24am
Actually what I need to modfiy is our 2011 W2 form.

Right now the Employer/Employee/State information is printing like this on the W2:

COMPANY TQA
1400 CALIFORNIA ST
WALNUT CREEK CA 94596

JOHN DOE
123 MAPLE STREET
PITTSBURGH PA 15239

PA

But our Print Shop is asking me to move the print over a few spaces:

COMPANY TQA
   1400 CALIFORNIA ST
   WALNUT CREEK CA 94596

JOHN DOE
   123 MAPLE STREET
   PITTSBURGH PA 15239

PA

I attempted what you suggested yesterday, but found out that I do actually have the Adobe Acrobat X version and not Version 9 as I told you yesterday - so sorry!

gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:25pm
You can move the form fields to the right or pad the input with leading spaces.

If this is an issue with the amount fields, then you will need to shift the amount fields to the right as needed.

Your print shop could also check the scaling to see if the shifts or adjust the field data to fit the form.
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:18pm
In Acrobat X, if it is text rather than fields (I really don't know the software you mention), you would click the Tools button on the toolbar, then under Content, choose Edit Object. Now proceed to select a block of text and see if you can move it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic