Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

learning more about PDF security/accessability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gib65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gib65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: learning more about PDF security/accessability
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 4:36am
Hello,

While I'm not new to PDFs, I'm clueless when it comes to configuring PDF security and accessability. Where can I go to learn how do things like make a PDF file password protected or limit the number of copies that can be made of a PDF file?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.
Sponsored Links

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:08am
It's a very good question, and I'm not really sure where to go to learn this stuff. Always remember the help file for the products you are using. Here are some random thoughts.

1. You can readily set a password for opening with Acrobat, see the Help.

2. Accessibility isn't a type of security, as you might think, and is nothing to do with preventing access to files. Rather it is about enabling access to files for people who need it, e.g. people who can't see the screen. This is a very, very big subject, much more complex than anyone might imagine, and can take hours even for the smallest files. In some countries it is a legal requirement to provide accessible PDFs some or all of the time.

3. Limiting the number of copies that can be made of a file is simply impossible. A PDF file is just a file; Windows or whatever can copy it as often as the user wants, so Acrobat cannot have anything to do with that. HOWEVER, there is something called DRM (Digital Rights Management). DRM can't stop files from being copied but it can control who can open a file, so a copied file is useless to anyone else. This is a big and controversial subject; some people consider it the devil's work and will not touch files that use DRM. Among other solutions, there is Adobe’s LiveCycle ES Rights Management product, which is aimed at corporate users and publishing companies.

4. If you are dealing with a case where you are legally responsible for data privacy (such as healthcare data), I cannot advise you to try to learn this stuff; pay an expert (and make sure THEY take on the legal liability for getting it wrong, some countries have unlimited fines for carelessness with data privacy).
gib65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gib65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 3:47am
Thanks very much aandi.
juliavasa5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote juliavasa5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 12:02pm
I want to send a PDF to my correspondent that can only be opened by him.
In particular, it cannot be opened even by me.
 I also need to restrict my correspondent to be unable to print, copy, etc,
**SignaturE**
BAlheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAlheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 2:09pm
InAdobe Acrobat look for certificate security.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic