Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Glyph Character swaps in PDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Matt_wbrt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt_wbrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glyph Character swaps in PDF
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm

I have been having an issue with Indesign and PDF files

We are getting font character "Glyphs replacing other characters"

Specs of the machines

Mac OsX=10.5.8

ID version=ID-CS5 ver 7.0.3

Acrobat Distiller version = 8.0

Suitcase version=12.1.7 (We do not use suitcase anymore thinking this was the issue, we place the fonts into the Indesign CS5 font folder)

Fonts we have had this issue with

Sabon LT Std.

Garamond MT Regular

Fairfield LT STD

TimesLT Std

Palatino LT Std

Minion Pro Regular

Verdana Italic

Times New Roman PS

Characters that have been causing the issues.

io, il, hn, SY

The characters they are replaced with.

Ú Ÿ Õ Š §

We run font cache cleaners such as Font Nuke, Font smasher and we even created our own from information found in other places where all the font cache's hide as well as suitcase's.

We tend to catch this issue in out PDF files we are actually but it does show up in the Indesign file, but you can close indesign and then reopen it and the issue is gone.

This lead us to believing it was a system font cache issue.

We process many jobs on a given day via 3 different machines that are setup to create PDF files.

We have a Process in place that before every job we clean the font cache and restart the machine.  Now I do not know if people are following this procedure all the time but we do have this issue appear like every 3 weeks when we get more work going thru the workflows.

I am looking for other Solutions to what this could be, would upgrading to cs5.5 help solve this issue? Could it be Indesigns Preference file getting bashed as well?  How can I better search for these characters.

We have been finding new characters it has replaced so its not always the same characters one time it was

joŸ =john

joÚ =john this was the latest.

junk_characters.jpg

Thank you for any responses.

Matt

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:58pm
My first thought, though it does not sound quite right, is that there may be a ligature definition you do not want. Ligatures can be defined in InDesign (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6dd6a.html)
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 9:04am
Looks similar to this.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792075

I think you probably need to contact Adobe, but I imagine they won't look at it until you update to CS5.5.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic