Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Font Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikethebook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikethebook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Font Problems
    Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:17pm
I use a piece of music transcription software called EasyABC into which I've managed to import additional music symbols through a private font called Larsen especially created for music symbols. So far so good. By adding the font to my computer (a Mac) I can use it successfully within the software and indeed also in a Windows partition with the Windows version of the software. But to get decent prints of the music it is best to use the "export to pdf" facility. I can successfully produce a pdf on the Mac with Preview software with all symbols intact but when I send it to someone else to view, the symbols are not there. Also while my Windows partition will open that pdf successfully in Acrobat reader, when I try to export to pdf from Windows EasyABC, the symbols are messed up. I have no understanding how pdfs work so am totally confused by the inconsistent results I'm getting. 
Sponsored Links

gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 6:48pm
PDFs do not always have the actual font you are using embedded in the PDF but use a computed image for displaying and printing the PDF. You can try to embed the special font in the PDF but the Windows user may need to install the exact same font on their computer. You also might not be able to embed the font due to the vendor's licensing restriction.

Using Apple's "Preview" application is not good approach since "Preview" is known to corrupt PDFs. You should only use Adobe Reader or some other established PDF viewer like Foxit.

Edited by gkaiseril - 08 Oct 2016 at 6:51pm
mikethebook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikethebook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 9:20pm
Thanks for your reply. I envisage two distinct uses for the PDFs, one where the user will have the font installed on their computer and one where they won't. Can you give me instruction how to embed the font in a PDF and confirm where or not a Mac or Windows computer reading that PDF will still need to have the font installed. 

When you mention vendor's licensing restriction are you talking about the owner of the font? If so that shouldn't be a problem because I'm trying to work this all out for the owner of the font.

I still don't understand why a PDF created on my Mac which Preview can read fine, can't be read properly on another Mac which has the same font installed.
Edit Scanned Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Edit Scanned Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:00pm
Ok. Then try this Edit PDF Document http://www.editscanneddocuments.com.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic