Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CONTROLLED REDUCTION OF PDF FILE SIZE (LARGE FILES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

CONTROLLED REDUCTION OF PDF FILE SIZE (LARGE FILES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FRANAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FRANAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CONTROLLED REDUCTION OF PDF FILE SIZE (LARGE FILES
    Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 10:17pm
Sir,

I am a newcomer in your forum not being an computer expert but only an author and photographer. I have planned to  publish illustrated E-books in PDF format and sell them through my web site on-line. The resolution of the images in my books is high which understandably also increases the file size and probably also causes problems when the customers are downloading them. Thus,  my aim is to control the PDF file size accurately but this seems to be very difficult.

For example  Adobe acrobat V.9 – which I have- allows me to reduce file size but this is happening automatically so that this software tries to reduce the file size as much as possible for example in the following way:

202434 Kt -> 9431 Kt

37870 Kt -> 7861 Kt

I have also PDF architect and this program unfortunately  doesn’t ‘ have “the reduce file size” option at all.

Most free similar computer programs always squeeze PDF-file size less than 10 MB and some of them don’t accept files bigger than 5 MB. “Secure cloud” has no limitations as far as PDF file size is concerned but the result is out of control and normally < 10 MB which is optimal file size only for email attachments.

Microsoft word converts even large PDF files with images to word format easily and the result  looks perfect and similar than the original PDF file but Word doesn’t allow the reduction of  file size so that after this reduction I could convert this new word file back to PDF format ???

The optimal situation would probably be - when transmitting data through The Internet- have a large file , pack/squeeze that for downloading/transmission so that the customer when finally receiving the E-book could again open the file and get the product in its original format ( large file,  printable E-book and images with good resolution).

My question is ( after trying to reduce my PDF file size (202434 Kt)  50% today several hours using different methods without result ):

Is there anybody on Planet PDF forum who could tell me (1) how to control the PDF file reduction process step by step so that the result (file size) is for example  50 % from the source file size – without purchasing for example some expensive Adobe products or layout softwares. (2) Is it possible to “pack” PDF files for downloading in a way for example using a method I decribed above ?

Stupid questions but I would be very gratful for any kind of advice !

Fr. Anah

Fr.Anah
Sponsored Links

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 11:54pm
I think you need to realise there is no way to shrink it down for transmission so the customer can get it back. PDF uses state of the art compression already; it's as small as it can be without losing quality. So if you shrink, that quality is gone.

No compression tools I heard of let you choose a target size. You choose what to sacrifice and it is removed; the remainder is how big the result is.

But you shouldn't have to shrink after the event if you use appropriate settings when you first make the PDF. Get to know the PDF creation settings in Acrobat, and their effect on file size. 
edwpat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote edwpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 6:43am
Have you looked at options such as the functionality offered by Luratech systems? Though it's a while since, I remember there was some level of fine tuning between size and quality. The problem hinges not only on image size but image type. A browse of options for implementing  MRC (Mixed Raster Content) solutions may be helpful but it is, unfortunately, a large subject. If nothing else, it may give you an understanding of the scale of your problem. 
gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 4:58pm
With the Professional version of Acrobat one has the Optimization tool that can modify various compression factors and techniques, remove some items, and perform an audit of space used by various objects.

Since the content of a PDF can be very complex, it is not possible to come up with one optimization policy.
javissamuel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote javissamuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:42am
Nice Info.

Edited by javissamuel - 24 Feb 2016 at 8:44am
Horndoggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Horndoggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 1:41pm
I tend to agree with aandi.  I would use photoshop or some similar produce (of which here are latterly thousands) to adjust the picture prior to inserting it in the document.
Doug
waynedolla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote waynedolla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:13pm
how can i replace text in pages of PDF document.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic