Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Can I update a PDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fabian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I update a PDF
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:46pm
Hi
Just getting started with PDF and wondered if its possible to update an existing PDF that I've sold to someone on the Internet.

At the moment I have a 15 page "How To Make Foam Concrete" in the editorial state. But once its up on line and some one buys it can I update the original copy that updates any that I've sold previously. 

I'm sure this can be done with ebook software, but not sure if I can do it with Foxit.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks. 
Fabian
Sponsored Links

Fabian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:21am
Hi
Don't like answering my own posts, but I remembered back to when I last made a PDF and I could update it using a piece of script placed on the back pages. 

When I updated the original the other copies I had already sold would automatically update too, as long as they were on a computer connected to the Internet.

But I can't remember what that script was called.

Anyone heard of such a script.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Fabian
kevindebenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevindebenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:44am
Hello Fabian,

Certain other ebook formats might support the feature of updating a document, but this is because the document exists within a controlled environment.

But with PDF it's really just a simple file, and it's a totally open format. So your customers might be viewing the PDF on any number of different devices, using a variety of software.

There really isn't any way to update a PDF with a newer version simply because there is no way with PDF to have any control over how your customers store that file on their devices.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have a unique web link on the back page of every PDF you sell. That link would contain some kind of unique code that identifies the customer, and allows them to download a new copy of the PDF when it's available.

Regards,
Kevin
pripankaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pripankaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:54am
purchase linkedin endorsements
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic