Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Best Practice for Resizing PDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bill-engineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill-engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Practice for Resizing PDF
    Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 5:14pm
We are preparing a 6x9 hardcover. We need to resize the PDF for that hardcover for a 5x8 trade paperback. What is the best practice in resizing this PDF?
Sponsored Links

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 9:39am
Return to the original (I'm assuming InDesign or QuarkXPress), tweak settings, remake. Why wouldn't you do this unless the original is lost and the backups eaten by squirrels...?

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill-engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 3:51pm
You've asked a good question. I'll answer it empirically and then from experience.

1. It appears that many large publishers are resizing pdfs. I have on my table the hardcover (6x9) and trade paperbook (5x8) of these book: Samuel Pepys by Claire Tomalin (hardcover Knopf; paperback Vintage); Erik's Larson's Issac's Storm (hardcover Crown;  paperback Vintage) and Roger Shattuck's Candor & Perversion (hardcover Norton, paperback Norton). In each case it appears the PDF was resized: The type block is identical (its aspect ratio the same) and the text flows exactly the same throughout. In fact, in every aspect of the type layout is a precise fraction of the larger hardcover.  (If you used InDesign to redo the book for the 5x8 I would expect a different aspect ratio for the typeblock than used in the 6x9.)

2. From a practical viewpoint it would take much more than tweaking to get InDesign (the tool we're using) to reproduce a smaller version exactly. At issue here is the time to check each page to be sure it had no problems. At a minimum it would take more time that the single line of ghostscript quote above!

gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 5:13pm
This is an example of how hard it can be to select the right tool for the authoring task. Reformatting of documents almost always requires a lot of time. Many public domain books, especially text only are more easily reformatted that text and graphics. Text reflows as needed but graphics may need to resized or cropped to fit the space available.

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 6:41pm
Are you the printer, responsible for pre-press? If so I can mention a tool. If not, you should contact your printer, because he should be expected to do a production task like this with eyes closed. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill-engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 7:13pm
We are completely responsible for the pre-press.
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 10:05am
The first place to look then is in your imposition software. It may offer grid fitting and may offer scaling. What do you use to impose?

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill-engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 6:24pm
HP Smartstream Designer (for InDesign CS6)
JDawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JDawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 5:14pm
Hi.  I know this is an old thread but in case someone comes looking at this for an answer I thought I would comment.

I do resizing from A4 to A5, A4 to 8.5x11, 8.5x11 to A4, etc. quite often because our printing service charges too much to do it for us.

I use Acrobat Professional  and just reprint to PDF (i.e., printer = Adobe PDF) and use the printer properties to set the paper size to the desired size.

I even use custom paper sizes when I have unusual bleed areas.  Saving the settings to a joboptions file makes these sizes especially easy.

For this to work, do these in the print dialog box:
  Check the box for "Shrink oversized pages"
  Uncheck the box for "Choose paper source by PDF page size"

This works great and the printer never complains.Geek
Ja, jag pratar för mig själv. Ibland behöver jag expertråd. Jim
gkaiseril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gkaiseril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:39pm
Using the Adobe PDF printer to reprint a PDF in a different paper size is called "re-frying" and like re-frying a good steak, you get a poorer quality item in the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic