Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

Adobe Pi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dpstory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dpstory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adobe Pi
    Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 2:31pm
I am writing a book that involves PDF forms. In it, I illustrate radio button fields and check boxes with the various button styles: check, circle, cross, diamond, square, and star. Distiller does not embed the Adobe Pi (Std) font.  It is my understanding that the fonts need to be embedded when the manuscript is submitted in PDF. My question is this: Must the Adobe Pi font be embedded, or do publishers accept the PDF in this instance. Adobe PI should be available on their system as well.

Comments, experiences?

Regards,

Don Story
Sponsored Links

aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 4:48pm
Yes, you should embed all fonts. But why are you using Adobe Pi at all? And how do you know it isn't embedding?
dpstory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dpstory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 5:44pm
you can see they are not listings under the fonts tab if doc properties.
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 11:17pm
You mean the font does not appear AT ALL under properties? Or you see something else?
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 11:18pm
Also, really: WHY are you using Adobe Pi?
dpstory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dpstory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 1:59pm
AAndi, I am not usiing Adobe Pi, Distiller/Acrobat is when it creates a checkbox/radio button field from my postscript file, which is produced by my LaTeX markup. Below is a partial listing

/Subtype/Widget
/T (myRadCk1)
/FT/Btn /F 4
/BS <</W 1/S/S>>
/AP<< /N <</Yes <<>>>> >>
/MK << /BC [0 0 0]/CA(4) >>
/DA (/ZaDb 12 Tf 0 g)

The font specification of /ZaDb is standard for creating checkbox or radio button. In the old days, ZapfDingBats were used (Type 1), now, Adobe Pi is used (at least according to the user interface. In the Appearance tab of the Check Box Properties, Adobe Pi is listed as the font. The fonts tab of the Document Properties dialog box shows ZapfDingBats, Encoding: Built-in.  There is no indication of embedding, such as a parenthetical remark like (Embedded Subset).

I run the  CreateSpace Prepress profile of the Preflight plug-in, I get are report that "Font not embedded," the listing consists of ZapfDingbats, the ones created by the check boxes and radio button fields.

Otherwise, all fonts of my book are being embedded.

Don
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 10:20pm
Ok, so you (or something) is using ZapfDingbats. This is one of the base 14 fonts, and will not be embedded for form fields. The use of this font name has not changed.

However, the method Acrobat uses to display the file is open to change, and they now use Adobe Pi. This is not a detail you need to worry about, however; think of the font as ZapfDingbats.
dpstory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dpstory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 10:25pm
I do.

I'm working on a workaround that will solve the problem. BTW, I flatten the document with this.flattenPages()
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 10:38pm
If you want to embed, you will need to own - not Adobe Pi, but Zapf Dingbats. So far as I can see.
uhappyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote uhappyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:48am
In the old days, ZapfDingBats were used (Type 1), now, Adobe Pi is used (at least according to the user interface. In the Appearance tab of the Check Box Properties, Adobe Pi is listed as the font. The fonts tab of the Document Properties dialog box shows ZapfDingBats, Encoding: Built-in.  There is no indication of embedding, such as a parenthetical remark like (Embedded Subset).??

Cut down your exam stress by using our latest spanish language - learnalanguage best of luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic