Planet PDF Forum Planet PDF Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, welcome to the Foxit Planet PDF Forum. If you have PDF or Adobe Acrobat questions then the right place to ask them is here, in this forum.

acrobat search file in folder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lieschen89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lieschen89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acrobat search file in folder
    Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 7:16pm
Hi,

I get a file name form my PDF form and I have to search this file in particular folders and
open it.

I have read that in Javascript this isn't possible (or shouldn't be done) so I thought of a
VB-script, which I call from my Javascript-function of the PDF.

I have found something like this:

app.doScript(myVBScript, ScriptLanguage.visualBasic);

but I think this isn't for Acrobat.

Another thing I found is the Acrobat Interapplication Communication.
But I don't know if this is the right approach to that what I am searching. I looked over it
and I think this is for calling Javascript out of a VB-Application. I need it the other way round.

can anybody help me?

(I am using Acrobat X)
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 10:41pm
You cannot run external programs or scripts from Acrobat. To work with VBScript you'd have to initiate the process from outside.

Post Options Post Options   Quote lieschen89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 6:41am
the user starts the search by clicking a button in the pdf and from the pdf javascript code comes
also the filename. So I have no idea how to initate the process from outside.

Has anyone an idea, how I can do this.

And I can't search for the file with javascript?

Post Options Post Options   Quote lieschen89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 6:53am
I think I will add the files as attachement to my pdf, this would be the easiest way.
aandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:40am
JavaScript has no access to the filing system. Except that it can open a PDF file if you know it is there. You cannot even know whether the open succeeded or failed in the general case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic